Parks, gardens and bridges
Bridges in Valencia
Following Turia Gardens, you will find no less than 17 bridges, both old and new, crossing the former riverbed.
Some of the more historical bridges include San Jose Bridge, Serranos Bridge (opposite the city gates), Royal Bridge and Aragon Bridge. Some of the highlights among the newer structures are the 9th of October Bridge and Exhibition (Peineta) Bridge.
Some of the more popular bridges are:
Bridge of the Arts (Puente de Las Artes)
Located opposite the Museum of Modern Art (IVAM) and next to Exhibition Bridge and the Pont of Regne, this bridge represents modernity as it sits among its older stone contemporaries.
Exhibition Bridge (Puente De La Exposición)
Designed by Santiago Calatrava, this bridge is popularly known as "la Peineta" (an ornamental comb) for its unique shape. It represents one of Valencia’s many elements of contemporary architecture.
Bridge of Flowers (Puente de Las Flores)
Found next to Exhibition Bridge, this bridge was built in 2002, and is adorned by flowers, which are updated several times a year.
San Jose Bridge (Puente de San Jose)
Located between the Arts and Serranos bridges, first records of this bridge date back to 1486. Consisting of 13 arches, it once displayed two valuable Ponzanelli sculptures on its cutwaters, which have now been replaced.
Trinity Bridge (Puente de la Trinidad)
Opposite the Museum of Fine Arts, this is the oldest of the city bridges. This Gothic style bridge consisting of 10 pointed arches was built around the XIV century on the ruins of another, and was again rebuilt after flooding in 1517. The statues seen on the bridge today are of Saint Luis Beltran and Saint Santo Tomas de Villanueva, by the famous Italian sculpture Ponzanelli, which were originally on the San Jose Bridge.
The Sea Bridge (Puente del Mar)
Found between Exhibition and Aragon Bridges, The Sea Bridge was built in 1591 after flooding destroyed the original wooden bridge. Located along the river’s centuries old route linking the city with the port (hence its name), the bridge comprises 10 arches spanning more than 50 feet (15 metres) and is adorned with images of the Virgin and Saint Pascual.
After more than three centuries, the bridge was closed to traffic in 1933 and became a pedestrian bridge with a magnificent access staircase built by architect Javier Goerlich.